Thursday, December 9, 2010

Caramel Crack


If Betty Crocker was a drug dealer, this is what she would be slinging.
This little gem is very much like the Apricot/Raspberry Crumb Bars but filled with caramel and chocolate.
Add this one to your holiday platter and have all your friends and neighbors mowing your lawn and bringing you coffee for an entire year!



Ingredients:
  • 2 sticks melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3-3/4 bag of chocolate chips, depending how chocolately you like it
  • 1 jar (10 ounces-ish) of caramel topping.  I used the Fleur de Sel Caramel Sauce from Trader Joe's, but you could use Smucker's or Mrs. Richardson's. 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
Combine the brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, baking soda & salt. Add melted butter and  mix until crumbly.
Press HALF of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and spread the jar of caramel topping on top, followed by the chocolate chips.  Sprinkle the remaining prepared dough mixture over the top.
Place back in oven and bake for an additional 15 -20 minutes, until it's a light golden brown.
Allow to cool and chill completely before cutting them into squares.  Go forth and gorge!

Recipe Source:  I have been making it for a while and do not know where I first saw it

Recipe linked to:
Frou Frou Decor
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Mommy's Kitchen

8 comments:

  1. I just love your humor Siggy! - and man alive do I love the looks and sounds of these caramel bars!!!!! SUPER, SUPER yummy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post - thanks for the laugh! :o) Seriously, I have to agree with you, chocolate and caramel? It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I can see why these can be addicting! They sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked on this link from your party link-up on Frou Frou decor because it had the word crack in the title. You know, caramel is like crack. Very addictive... And your blog is beautiful! I'm adding this recipe to my stash. Loves!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...I thought Betty Crocker was a drug dealer??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen recipes for caramel bars or chocolate bars before, but no one has ever combined the two. I think you've hit the jackpot with this one. By the way, I'm holding a giveaway on my blog for Orglamix Organic makeup and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/12/orglamix-organic-mineral-makeup-review.html

    ReplyDelete