Wednesday, August 10, 2011

3 Envelope Crockpot Chicken


I took the kidlets to go see the Smufs this weekend, or as my 4-year old likes to call them, the Smurps.   It has inspired a song...

"La, la, la, la, la, la it's so Smurfing hot...
La, la, la, la, la, la how can you Smurf the whole day long?
Sooo, la, la, la, la, la, la Smurf this Smurfing song!"

Sorry, the heat has left me a wee-bit-cranky and drained my song-writing mojo.
Moving on...

I tend to pick my meals lately based on how little heat it will create in the house which is why we spend most of the summer eating salads, grilled foods, and Crockpot meals. The recipe I am sharing today creates a flavorful, juicy piece of chicken cooked in a fantastic gravy....and did I mention it is silly simple?! You can throw this bad-boy in the Crockpot, go to the pool for the afternoon, and come home to a house that smells slap-your-sunburn GOOD!

3 Envelope Chicken
Recipe Source: Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
  • 1 packet Ranch Salad Dressing mix
  • 1 packet Italian Salad Dressing mix
  • 1 packet chicken gravy mix
  • 1 cup of water
  • 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Place thawed chicken breasts in a cold Crockpot.
Combine the Ranch Dressing Mix, Italian Dressing Mix, and Chicken gravy mix with 1 cup of cold water. Stir to combine. Pour over chicken and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. Make sure and cook up some mashed 'taters, egg noodles, or rice to pour some of that fabulous sauce on!

This recipe was linked up at:
This Chick Cooks
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home



11 comments:

  1. This looks smurfingly delicious. Gene took Alex to see it on Sunday during my Pampered Chef party. They came back using some sort of smurf word in every other sentence..lol.
    You know I love these little packet Crock Pot meals. A lot of flavor and a little bit of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have a 3 packet Roast recipe we love! Im excited to try this chicken version. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I see the other recipe that you have for the 3 packet roast? You can find me on fb as Christina Ketelsen photo of me with my camera in the mirror...LOL

      Delete
  3. I made the same thing but used roast and a roast gravy mix. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my all-time favorite crockpot recipes. It tastes just like my grandma's (although I'm not sure it's the exact same recipe). I'm with Holly - 3 packet roast is GREAT too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this plus a beer in the sauce.. Delish. Some spanish rice and a salad. Bomb! Thanx way easy last min dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this recipe to be extremely salty to the point it was not pleasant to eat. I do not prefer salt though, so perhaps this is why I did not enjoy the recipe. I even chose low sodium gravy. The flavor was not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we had a problem with the salt, too. I even wiped any excess seasoning off the chicken breasts (because when I tasted it, it was also too peppery), and it was still hard to eat. I added a cup of milk to try to make it less concentrated, but my family still didn't like it. It smelled good cooking, though. I might try this again and use half of each packet, or maybe reduce the Ranch and skip the Italian altogether (since that is probably where the pepper came from). I love that Italian packet when made into dressing, but this didn't quite work for us. Thanks for the idea, though! It gives me some ideas of where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the roast last night and I used more water and made my gravy thick so this cut down on the salty taste. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine is in the crockpot now, I used 1 ranch, 1 italian and since I didn't have a chicken gravy I swapped it out for a can of cream of chicken soup condensed so I also added a cup of water. We'll see how it goes. I'm thinking of making some corn or creamed corn on the side and then possibly adding the sauce on top of it after the fact. A side of broccoli sounds like it may go with this too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am making this now and i just read what everyone said about the salt i added some celery and carrots in woth it to and didnt add the ranch just 2 pkgs chicken gravy and the italian seasoning i hope it turns out ok!

    ReplyDelete