Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Outback's Mac-a-Roo and Cheese

Who hasn't ordered Outback Steakhouse's yummy Mac-a-Roo and Cheese?  Who hasn't ordered curb-side take-away from Outback and slipped in an order of Mac-a-Roo and Cheese, even though the kiddos are with Grandma Coo Coo for the night?  Come on...surely I can't be the only one??  Let's not even get started on the meltdowns that have ensued over Mac-a-Roo and Cheese mysteriously disappearing of a plate at the restaurant.
Whatever, moving on. 
If you Google out "how to make Outback's Mac and Cheese", you are sure to get tons of recipes, most of which I have tried, that aren't even close.  Well, being the cool chick I am...no really, I am... I have a super secret person on the inside that told me how they make it.  I scoffed...there is NO WAY it could be that easy.  I simply got a nod, a grin, and a "oh yeah, that is it."  Tried it.  Loved it.  Still can't believe it.

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Penne Rigate Pasta
  • 1 lb Velveeta, cubed
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream plus more as needed to thin to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.
In a medium pot, heat cream and add Velveeta, stirring carefully so it does not scorch on bottom.  Continue stirring until cheese is melted, adding additional cream if needed for desired texture and taste.  It will thicken up quite a bit as it cools, so don't go crazy with the cream.  Mix pasta and cheese sauce together, add some pepper to taste.  ENJOY!

Yup...told you it was that simple.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Nikki's Nifty Knacks
Mommy's Kitchen

6 comments:

  1. Yum Siggy! I've missed you and your delicious posts this past week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude so easy, I have never had this mac-a-roo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get out--that's all there is to this? I've honestly never tried it but it looks so delicious and easy it will be dinner one day very soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MmMMMMmmmmmMMMMMMMM, who doesn't love a good mac and cheese, I mean come on?!?!?! Thanks so much for linking this up to gettin' crafty on hump day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuuuuummy! I'd love for you to come and share one of your recipes at What's Cooking Wednesday (http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/2010/09/brand-new-whats-cooking-wednesday.html)!

    Look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - my son worked at Outback for years and this is EXACTLY how they make it!

    ReplyDelete