Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday's Fabulous Finds - Dole Tropical Gold Pineapple

Welcome to Round 2 of Friday's Fabulous Finds, a time and place where I share with you some food and/or cooking items that I have found and love. Today, I am going to let you in on a little information about me. Maybe even a little too much information, but important information to get you from point A to B. Or point A to today's Friday's Fabulous Find.
Back to information, I am allergic to pineapple. Very sad for me, because I LOVE pineapple....I would have loved to eat it everyday, or at least once in a while growing up....but I couldn't. When temptation proved to be too much and I would indulge, whether fresh or canned, my mouth and tongue would break out in blisters. Bleck, I know. Too much??? Moving on...
About a year and a half ago my hubby and I were whisked away to Hawaii to attend a friend's wedding, so between this:



and this:

and a little bit of this:



I met a wonderful woman from Hawaii at the wedding luau. As I was staring longingly at the hunk-o-pineapple on my plate, somehow the conversation turned to my allergy to pineapple. She informed me that most people who have that type of reaction have no reaction to Golden Pineapple, or Tropical Gold, depending where it was picked. Something about not as acidic and sweeter than normal pineapple. As luck would have it, that hunk-o-pineapple on my plate was indeed a Maui Golden Pineapple. Benedryl at the ready, I took a bite...and....NOTHING! Nothing but the sheer sweet tropical flavor explosion of pineapple. HAPPY DANCE!!!
I enjoyed more pineapple on the island and since back to the mainland, would once in a while find fresh Golden Pineapple at various stores I shopped. But now, behold what I found at Costco a month or so ago...

Needless to say, I bought a box...and another...and another. This stuff is AWESOME! Perfect for stir-fry's, sweet and sour chicken, salads, dessert recipes, and just plain munching on. As a total bonus

That's right, in 100% juice, no sugar added, no preservatives, and of course, high in antioxidants and vitamin C!

As a "got the winter blues" treat, it can't be beat. Thus saith Siggy Suess.


1 comment: