Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New-Dorf Salad

A couple weeks ago, I did my weekly shopping.  As I am sure I have told you before, I do my menu planning on Thursday night or Friday morning.  I then pack all 3 kiddos into the Mom's Limo, aka mini van, and head out to Costco, Trader Joe's, and then Super Target.  Well this particular Friday, like most days so far this summer, it was about a zillion degrees....with heat index, a zillion and fifty.  Luckily (or not) it takes about 20 minutes to go to Costco, which is enough time for the oven of a car to get nice and cooled down.  The time it took me to help the kiddos out of the car, walk to the front door, rummage through my wallet to find my Costco card, get Kiddo A into a cart, we were literally dripping and disgusting.  UGH! 
As we were working the sample tables, hoping and praying for ice cream or popsicles, this version of a Waldof Salad was being sampled.  Now, let me just say, I have never had a classic Waldorf Salad.  I am allergic to walnuts, and pretty much the thought of putting a mayonnaise-y type dressing over fruit makes me want to hurl.  So, I turned my nose up and kept the vomit at bay.  Now, as a side note, we have seen this particular sample guy at work...he could sell ice in a snowstorm.  At Easter, this same guy was hawking Red Velvet Cake shouting at the top of his lungs that it was "Jesus birthday cake".  So, when he started shouting it was "fresh apples, grapes, celery, yogurt, almonds, and cranberries", it peaked my interest.  I double checked with him there were no walnuts in it, and took a bite.  Holy refreshing salad Batman!  It was FABULOUS!!!  I immediately picked up a container and continued to do my shopping.  While waiting in the massive line, I started to read the ingredients on the label and it literally said:  "Apples, Red Grapes, Celery, Dried Cranberries, Sliced Almonds, Vanilla Yogurt".  Then I caught a glimpse of the $10 price tag.  I promptly put it back and added a few items to my list, came home and made this.  Kiddos raved about it, the Hubby and I could not stop eating it.  Do yourself a favor and try this.  It is simple, refreshing, and spectacular!

Ingredients:
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 apples, diced with skin on.  I used Golden Delicious, but use what you like.
  • 2 cups seedless red grapes
  • 1 cup Craisins
  • 1 cup sliced toasted almonds.  I recommend using the Almond Accents brand.
  • 1 cup Vanilla flavored yogurt.
In a medium bowl, add diced celery, apples, grapes, and Craisins.  Stir in the Vanilla Yogurt, coating everything.  Add almonds and stir to coat some more.  Serve immediately.

This recipe is linked up at:
Simply Sweet Home - Friday Favorites
Tidy Mom - I'm Lovin' It
Mommy's Kitchen - Sunday Potluck
This Chick Cooks
Eat at Home

4 comments:

  1. This sounds divine! I immediately put the ingredients on my shopping list but I'm going to use fat free yogurt (ah, Weight Watchers)! What a great summer salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like the new way it sounds fresh and exciting. I love craisins and the vanilla yogurt would give it just the right flair thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom would love this! She always gets an apple version of this at Ruby Tuesday. Looks great!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thise sounds wonderful! I want to make some! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete