There are some things I have learned my first year of living in the south.
- The phrase heat index.
- Southern Sweet Tea.
- When you are in Nascar country, understand that most the people in the area will try to live out their "I wanna be like Jr." driving style while on their way to Target.
- Just because people beep at you like a maniac and swerve around you doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means that they are in a much bigger hurry than you are. They DO need to make it to the red light 2.6 seconds before you do. See aforementioned "I wanna be like Jr." driving style comment above.
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 whole fryer chicken, giblet removed
- 1 box of chicken stock, 32 ounces
- 3/4 pound spaghetti, broken into 3rds
- 2 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bag frozen Mirepoix mix, 12 ounces. Mirepoix is a combo of diced onion, celery, and green pepper.
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 can Chicken and Herbs soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese, depending how cheesy you like it. I use 3 cups of Cheddar Jack.
- 1 cup additional shredded cheese for topping.
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper, more to taste
- 2 tsp dried parsley
Begin by rinsing you chicken under cold water. Place chicken in stockpot, add box of chicken stock and enough water to just cover chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until drumsticks easily move from the rest of chicken when leg is wiggled.
Remove chicken and all solids from stock. Remove 1 cup chicken stock from pot and leave the rest of the stock in pot. Set aside.
Once chicken has cooled enough to handle, debone and chunk up meat into bite sized pieces.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Put pot of chicken stock on stove over high heat and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 TBSP butter in 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Saute frozen Mirepoix mix and diced onion until translucent. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the soups, reserved 1 cup chicken stock, sour cream, garlic salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir until smooth. Add in shredded cheese, sauteed veggies, and chicken meat. Mix carefully to not break up the chicken. Add in pasta and gently toss to ensure even coating. Give a taste and add more salt and/or pepper if needed.
Place chicken and pasta mixture in a 9"x13" baking dish that has been lightly coated with cooking spray.
Sprinkle additional cup of shredded cheese over top of casserole. Bake in oven for 30 - 45 minutes or until warm and bubbly.
This recipe has been linked up at:
Frou Frou Decor
Simply Sweet Home
Eat at Home