Anyway, I tried this recipe back about 6 months ago and we loved it. Then, while at Costco last week, I bought some ham steaks they were sampling. I made it again last week with the addition of green peppers (picture above shows the dish sans green pepper) and we REALLY loved it. Yet another of those creamy, cheesy dishes that screams comfort food....and comfort food is always good when you have been packing boxes of toys contemplating why in the hell you went to 4 different stores to buy the new and improved ULTIMATE Tickle Me Elmo that was played with for approximately 3.7 minutes 3 years ago. And now we have come full circle to the box-o-wine.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups shredded cheese. I used Cheddar Jack, use whatever floats your boat.
- OPTIONAL - extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cubed ham - again, Costco Ham Steak
- 8 oz pasta. (1/2 of a 1-lb box) I used small shells, obviously. Use whatever you have in your pantry or will make your kiddos squeal with glee.
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, more to taste
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente. Once done, drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter and saute onions and green pepper until soft and translucent. Again, once done, set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and cheese until combined. Add ham, pepper, onions, and pasta and gently stir to make sure all pieces are coated evenly.
Pour into a 9"x13" dish that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Top with additional cheese if you so choose...you know I did!
Bake for about 30-40 minutes until warm, bubbly, and golden brown. ENJOY!
Recipe Source: Real Mom Kitchen
This recipe has been linked up at:
Frou Frou Decor
Simply Sweet Home
Eat at Home