Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cookie With Many Names....

Synchronicity is a funny thing. This week, I received a request for these cookies that are on my annual Christmas Cookie platter. The very next day, Tina (the Mom in Mommy's Kitchen) had her version posted on Face Book. I am taking it as a sign to get this deliciousness shared with you. I loved, loved, LOVED these cookies as a child and was so happy to find the recipe as an adult. They are my family's favorite cookie hands down. One Christmas SEVERAL years ago, we gave homemade goodie baskets as gifts. I used a small cookie scoop to make these cookies and they turned out round and truffle sized. My then 8 year old son said they looked like reindeer poop, so the name has stuck. Many of my friends from the 'Burg grew up with these served in a bar form in our Winnie the Pooh cafeteria and lovingly called them Cow Pie's. Do I see a theme here?! Whether you call them No Bake's, Chewy Fudgey Treats, Reindeer Poop, or Cow Pie's, they are sure to bring a smile to your face!


  • 2 cups sugar
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1/3 cup powdered cocoa, I use Hershey's Cocoa
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place piece of wax paper or foil on tray, cookie sheet, our counter. Combine sugar, butter, milk, and cocoa in medium saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a rolling boil.
Remove from heat, cool 1 minute.
Add peanut butter and vanilla, stir quickly until peanut butter is smooth.  Add oats and stir to throughly combine. Quickly drop mixture by spoonful onto waxed paper or foil. Cool completely.





Recipe Source: Hershey's Best Loved Recipes

2 comments:

  1. My brother-in-law calls them PMS cookies! Very appropriate, I must say!

    ReplyDelete