Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Nirvana In A Bowl

So, as I told you Monday, my July 4th food plans went a little awry.  One thing that was safe from the Murphy's Law running rampant in our house that day was the fruity salad I prepared the night before.  So, it was delightfully perfect!  I am a sucker for fruity, cool whip-y type salads and this one lived up to it's name for me...Nirvana In A Bowl....or as the ever adorable Kiddo C called it as she was shoveling it into her sweet little mouth, "Myyyy Preccioouuusss" in a very creepy Gollum-esk voice.  The great thing about this recipe is you can totally change around the fruit/jello flavors as the mood strikes.  For this go-round, we did Mandarin Oranges but I have heard raspberry is perfectly delightful.  Try this great dish as a wonderful cool down option!
  • 1 package Cook And Serve Tapioca Pudding, 3 oz size
  • 1 package Cook And Serve Vanilla Pudding, 3 oz size
  • 1 package Orange Jello (or flavor of choice), 3 oz size
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 container Cool Whip Topping, 8 oz size
  • 2 cans Mandarin Oranges (or your fruit of choice)
Pour the three dry boxes of pudding and jello into a medium saucepan. Add the three cups of water and stir until mixture is dissolved. Bring to a boil and let boil a full minute.

Pour into a large bowl and let it set up in the fridge overnight. It needs to be very well set. When ready to serve, stir up the mixture a bit to loosen it up. Add 8 ounces of cool whip and mix together until pretty well blended. There will be small lumps from the tapioca. Don’t try to stir these out. Finally, add the fruit of choice and fold in carefully. Try not to lick the bowl!


Recipe Source:  Tasty Kitchen member MerryweatherMama
This recipe was linked up at:
Mommy's Kitchen Sunday Potluck
This Chick Cooks

6 comments:

  1. YUM!!! This recipe sounds delightfully refreshing....do you think I could serve it as a main course for dinner tonight? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy I love salads like this. And it is so versatile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this certainly would have been good today for sure! I don't get over to Tasty Kitchen much between the blog and Facebook work so I haven't seen this but it does remind me of the old fashioned Watergate Salad. Thanks for sharing it on our Facebook page. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great treat to bring to the table, it looks delicious! I would like to invite you to join us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh sound great, will be it in the rotation of recipes to try, if you have a chance come check out my blog The Bread Fairy. I am your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I use 1 can of mandarin oranges and 1 small can of crushed pineapple and 1 small can of pineapple tidbits. Mwah! It's the best and a fave at potlucks and summer picnics.

    ReplyDelete