- 2 pounds of meat of your choice. Hamburger is a good filler here. I use 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of hamburger and then add 1/2 - 1 pound Italian sausage and a package of chopped pepperoni for the rest. I find if you use too much of the pepperoni or Italian sausage, it gets too salty.
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jar pizza sauce, 16 oz. I use the Trader Joe's kind...it is fabulous!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 TBSP Garlic Bread Sprinkle
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, brown your meat until cooked through. Remove meat from skillet and drain excess fat. Next, saute your veggies until desired consistency. I found when I left them crunchy, they added too much moisture to the filling when cooking in the oven. Add garlic and cook another minute. Again, burnt garlic = BLECH! If you need to, drain excess moisture or oil from vegetables. Add meat back into skillet and add pizza sauce. It will be thick, that is ok...we aren't going for a spaghetti sauce to serve over pasta, but if you need to add a TBSP of water to get your mixture completely coated, that is ok. It will loosen up slightly when baking in the oven.
Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on bottom of dish. Spread meat/veggie/pizza sauce mixture evenly over top to cheese. Add remaining shredded cheese on top of meat/veggie/pizza sauce mixture.
In a medium bowl, quickly mix together flour, milk, eggs, oil, and salt until thoroughly combined. Slowly pour over top of the cheese covering evenly. This will bake up to be your crust. Don't worry, it will work ;) Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and garlic bread sprinkle on top of crust and bake for 30-45 minutes until crust is set.
As a side note, this recipe is completely flexible...add whatever veggies and meat into it. It is a great way to hide extra veggies! Come up with your favorite and share it with us here! Enjoy!
This recipe has been linked up at:
Mommy's Kitchen Sunday Potluck