Monday, January 31, 2011

Shrimp Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce


I have had some people e-mail me off of Facebook and ask why it is we are seemingly eating oh so very early.  The answer is simple...because we are!  Since my hubby works from home, and the kiddos are home-schooled, and I am home all day, we have a pretty unique situation.  We thought we would try to go European and start eating our big meal, aka dinner, during the time we would normally eat lunch.  We have now been eating that way for a month and LOVE it!  We are able to burn off the big meal through the course of the rest of the day, then in the evening, we have a light something...like a salad, soup, or sandwich.  It has done wonders for our digestion (and waist line) to not have a big ol' meal lurking in our bellies before we go to bed.  I know that most people would not be able to make that type of switch-up, but if there is anyway you can, even if just on the weekend, give it a try!  You might find yourself surprised at the benefits :)
Moving on to the recipe.  When my friend Amber from This Mommy Cooks posted this, I knew I wanted to try it and boy am I glad I did!  Though the ingredients seem quite simple, it is truly fabulous and easy, but totally special enough that you could serve it to guests....or a certain holiday for sweeties coming up!

Shrimp Penne with Tomato Cream Sauce   
  • 1 pound Shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 3/4 pound (uncooked) Penne Pasta
  • 2 TBSP Butter
  • 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 small Onion, finely diced
  • 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup White Wine...make sure you like the taste of it!
  • 1 can Tomato Sauce (8 ounces)
  • 1 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1 TBSP fresh chopped Basil
  • 1 TBSP fresh chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Parmesan Reggiano cheese, to sprinkle
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add some salt and the pasta and cook according to package directions. 
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and olive oil.  Cook shrimp for a few minutes just until pink.  DO NOT over cook shrimp, they will become rubbery...bleck!  Remove shrimp to a plate and set aside.  Add onions to skillet and cook until transparent.  While onions are cooking, put the shrimp on a cutting board and chop into smaller bite sized pieces.  Add garlic to the pan and let cook until fragrant.  Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scrapping up any browned bits that may be on the bottom.  After the wine has cooked down a bit, add in the tomato sauce.  Give it a good stir, then slowly add the cream.  Turn heat down to a low simmer and let in hang out for a few minutes.  Add your herbs and stir again.  Add in shrimp and pasta and give it another good stir to warm them back up.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve with some grated Parmesan Reggiano on top.  ENJOY!

This recipe has been linked up at:
Nikki's Nifty Knacks
Mommy's Kitchen
This Chick Cooks
Eat at Home

7 comments:

  1. Dinner tonight! lol Thanks for the timely post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the simple things that really are the best. Fo realz! Looks amazing. Oh, and you come on up anytime you want for Super Bowl food...lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We eat early too...eaten and cleaned up by 5:30!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'd love this dish. Your photo of it makes it look too pretty to eat :-). I'm new to your blog, but have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, we eat an early dinner at 430. I also have a light snack around 630. I love a creamy tomato sauce, this looks really great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I think Fondue is a brilliant idea for Valentine's Day, my family isn't so big on it. But I made this for Valentine's Day instead. It was a great hit, and a perfect Valentine's meal--creamy, delicious, and a luscious pink color. I used champagne as the wine...after all, what is Valentine's Day without champagne?

    Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete