I don't know why I have hesitated to make Fajitas at home....something about the sizzling hot pan perhaps. Or, something about every homemade Fajita I have tried has lacked a certain something. It either has no seasoning or the packet seasoning that comes across as processed and salty to me. But that all ends NOW!
I know it is incredibly presumptuous to call something the BEST or the ULTIMATE....but that is just how I roll...and that is how these Chicken Fajitas roll. Or fold over. Or whatever you like to do with them. They are perfect and easy, and yes, the BEST!
Without further ado, let me introduce you to your next BEST:
ULTIMATE Chicken Fajitas
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice...do not use the bottled stuff (about 3-4 limes)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp liquid smoke (do NOT skip this...it completely makes this marinade!)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red (or orange) pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced. I used red and Walla Walla Sweet Onion.
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 TBSP water
- ½ tsp fresh lime juice (a quick squeeze of a cut lime)
- dash of salt and pepper
Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade ingredients over the top. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
After marinading, take chicken out of the bag and discard the marinade. Grill or broil the chicken 4-5 minutes per side. I used my indoor grill but you can certainly use your outdoor BBQ as well. Remove from grill and tent with foil to keep warm.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the vegetables in the skillet. Serve immediately with flour tortillas and top with tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, sour cream…the options are endless!
A BIG, hearty THANK YOU to Melanie from My Kitchen Cafe for again providing me with a FABULOUS recipe!
This recipe has been linked up at:
Frou Frou Decor
Simply Sweet Home
Nikki's Nifty Knacks