Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Steak Pizzaola

You know that Sheryl Crow song "A Change"? 
You know....
"A change (change, change) would do you good
I said a change (change, change) would do you good  (a change would do you goooood)"
What does that song have to do with this recipe?  Well, not too much other than it is the song that kept going through my mind as I ate it, and now that I am sharing it with you....it's BACK!
This recipe is a fabulous change-up to the taste buds.  Not really a typical "spaghetti with meat sauce", it is my favorite pizza toppings with scantly sauced steak so tender and flavorful, your mouth will be doing the happy dance.
So, go make a change and try this recipe, it will do you good.
Yes, corny segway...what can I say...I am EXHAUSTED today and the coffee has not kicked in quite yet.

Steak Pizzaola
Recipe slightly adapted from:  My Tasty Treasures who adapted from Rachael Ray
  • 2½ pounds steak.  I used Sirloin, but you can use Porterhouse or Ribeye, I would not use a Flank Steak.
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 3 TBSP olive oil, divided
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely minced, crushed or pressed.
  • 1/2  tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 12 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 2 bell peppers, seeded and sliced.  I used 1 red and 1 green.
  • 2-3 ounces sliced pepperoni, diced
  • ½ cup dry red wine(I used Merlot)
  • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste 
  • Cooked pasta, I used Bowtie to stand up to a heavier sauce.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Season the steak with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Brown 3 minutes on each side and remove. Add another turn of the pan extra-virgin olive oil and reduce heat to medium high. Add garlic, pepper flakes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and pepperoni, if using. Cook mixture 5 minutes, then add wine and scrape up any good-bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, to taste. Slide steak back in and reduce heat to medium. Cover pan and cook 6 or 8 minutes for medium rare, 10 to 12 minutes for medium well. Remove meat, let rest a few minutes, slice and place back in sauce. Serve over pasta.  Make sure to top with plenty of grated cheese.

This recipe has been linked to:
This Chick Cooks
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Eat at Home

5 comments:

  1. I want to replace my Lean Cuisine lunch with this please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Pizzaola! I have never made this before!! It sounds really good Siggy! Now the song is in my head. Thanks. Thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks amazing...will def be a must try for me..
    first time here..love your space..
    excellent recipe collection with tempting clicks..
    Am yur happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice recipe. I'll keep my eye on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite dishes! Your version looks excellent!! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete