Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Okinawan Takoraisu, aka Taco Rice

Today, you not only get an amazing recipe, but a little of the food-history behind it. 
In the 1960's, a Japanese chef took the love of American Tacos, popular with the US military stationed there, and gave it an Asian flair.  A hybrid if you will.  A wee splice.  A tweak.  Interestingly enough, it has now become one of the most well-known Okinawan dishes.  So, cliff-notes version:  taco flavors + Asian flair = major YUM enjoyed by all!
Everyone loved this dish, adults and kidlets.  There was something so subtle and special about the soy sauce in the taco meat...and then serving it over rice made it so cozy and scrumptious.  PLUS you get this amazing hot/cold thing that is amazing. 
お楽しみ !

Okinawan Takoraisu, aka Taco Rice
Recipe source:  La Fuji Mama
  • 1 TBSP vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1 pound ground beef - use a leaner mix.
  • 3 TBSP Soy Sauce - I used low sodium
  • 1 TBSP Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp ground Cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
  • 4 cups steamed rice
  • 2 cups lettuce, shredded
  • 2 cups tomatoes, diced
  • 12 ounces Queso Blanco, crumbled OR 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 cup your favorite salsa
  • 4 TBSP Sour Cream
Heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until the onions are barely soft. Add the ground beef and break it into small chunks. Once the meat is cooked, add the soy sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Let this simmer until the liquid reduces.
Spread 1/2 to 1 cup of the steamed rice on each plate. Top with the seasoned beef.
Then top with the shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and salsa, and finish it off with a dollop of sour cream.

This recipe has been linked up at:
This Chick Cooks
Simply Sweet Home
Tidy Mom

6 comments:

  1. OK, I would have NEVER in a million years considered doing this. That said, I am strangely intrigued and I think I need to try this! 2 flavors we love...just never thought of them going together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please, my family - especially husband would luv this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making this for awhile now and it has become a favorite around here. This will appeal to kids and adults!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this recipe?!?! I've heard about it but never tried it. I really like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this is just too much of a coincidence! We are moving to Okinawa, I am so excited to try their cuisine and incorporate it into my cooking and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, I made this tonight and it was fantastic. Having had it in Okinawa, I can say that this is pretty close without becoming overly western. It smells almost exactly the same so I was pretty excited. I think I would add more chili powder next time because the Japanese take on Mexican food has this strange sweet/spicy mix. More spicy than sweet, and I'm not sure what gives it that kick. Either way, thanks for posting this recipe. Most of the others I found called for a package of taco seasoning. Yuck.

    A small side note, though. I noticed you tagged this post with Chinese Cuisine. Okinawa is in Japan. I know it's a smallish thing, and either way, I'm happy to have found it.

    ReplyDelete