Monday, July 25, 2011

Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders

This isn't a new recipe...it has been around forever.  So, why has it taken me so long to try it?  Who knows...maybe it was the thought of using root beer.  However, it is the root beer that takes this BBQ Pork to a new level-o-yum!  For these IN-sanely hot days, this is a perfect crock-pot meal.  As a total bonus, it is silly simple as well as scrumptious. 
OK, going to go sit under the AC vent....keep cool everyone!

Root Beer BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
  • 3-4 lbs pork butt/shoulder. 
  • 2 TBSP Montreal Steak Seasoning 
  • 1 bottle (12 ounces) your favorite root beer.  Again, DO NOT USE DIET!!!  Seriously, seriously scary stuff happens when you heat all those crazy chemical sweeteners
  • 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.  My favorite is Bullseye Original.  I just saw a big taste test thing for BBQ sauces and Bullseye Original took first place ;)  Yup, I know how to pick a winner, lol!
  • Hawaiian Sweet Rolls for serving
Sprinkle Montreal Steak Seasoning over you pork roast.  Place in cold crock pot.  Add bottled root beer to crock pot, pouring around the roast to not disturb the seasoning.  Cook on low for 8 hours, or until it shreds easily.  Remove meat from crock pot and shred into desired sized pieces.  Drain and reserve liquid.  Add meat back into crock pot and add just enough reserved liquid to re-moisten meat, about 1/4 cup.  Add enough BBQ sauce to give meat a nice coating.  Let sit in crock pot on low until warm.  Serve on Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.

This recipe has been linked up at:
This Chick Cooks
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home

12 comments:

  1. I haven't tried using root beer yet but I have used Coke. And you are right, don't mess around with that diet stuff..lol. These sound so good Sigs. And it is so great that it is done in the Crock Pot because when winter rolls around, you can have the taste of summer in the winter..love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill take 10 please! YUMMMM : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello precious, one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever made pork with root beer either. I've been seeing it in tons of recipes lately though, so it must be good! I had this on my menu plan for tomorrow from PW: http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/pork-sandwiches-with-cilantro-jalapeno-slaw/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny...this is on my "to cook" list. I saw a similar recipe like this with pork and root beer in a food magazine, and I tore it out and put it in my pile of future endeavors. This looks WONDERFUL...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Siggy,

    I was going to make pulled pork for our weekend at the ocean with the whole family. Was going to go shopping for many ingredients for a recipe I saw on food network. This sounds better and way cheaper. Is is as great as it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darla - We LOVED them! The root beer really adds a great flavor that you would not be able to pinpoint as root beer. Just make sure you pick a BBQ sauce you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds interesting, but they sure do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see they've made their way to Colorado. Nice!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=584733354891620&set=a.437656576265966.101601.200983173266642&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any idea how many individual sliders this makes? I see I'm a little late to the conversation, but want to make these this weekend for a birthday party.

    ReplyDelete