Friday, April 22, 2011

Go Green Smoothie for Earth Day

This smoothie goes by many names in our house:
Monster Smoothie
Shrek Juice
Nickelodean Slime
Today, we are dubbing it Go Green Smoothie for Earth Day!
This is such a GREAT and HEALTHY smoothie.  My kiddos absolutely LOVE it and they have no clue what gives it it's lovely green color, because you CANNOT taste it!  Trust me!  Make it, but don't tell your kiddos, and you can pat yourself on the back knowing you got them to eat a serving of spinach for breakfast! 

Go Green Smoothie
  • 1 cup milk - your choice regular, skim, Almond, Coconut, Rice, or Soy...sweetened or not, vanilla or plain.
  • 1 banana - I like to use frozen, but use what you have
  • 1 cup pineapple*
  • 1/2 cup mango*
  • 1 large handful baby spinach leaves
  • 1/2 cup ice
optional:
  • 1 TBSP Agave Syrup, or other sweetner, if desired
  • 1-2 TBSP Vanilla or Italian Sweet Cream non-dairy creamer.  I like the creaminess this lends to any smoothie
  • 1 TBSP physillium husks or flax seed for an added boost

In a blender, combine milk, banana, pineapple and mango.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Add spinach leaves and continue to process until smooth.  Add ice and any or all optional ingredients.  Blend again.  ENJOY!

*Note:
I have swapped out the pineapple/mango for strawberries or blueberries.  They both taste just as fabulous, just remember it will change the color from the vibrant green!

This recipe has been linked up at:
Teaching Your Middle Schooler
Tide Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Mommy's Kitchen

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for Earth Day smoothies Siggy! I love the "hush,hush" ingredient in your smoothie! I will definitely be trying this little number out on Jolie...she'll never know! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! My are smoothie freaks around here. I am going to mark this one to try to jazz things up! We usually just go straight for the berry/banana blend;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha - I like the Slime Smoothie name! Definitely will not talk about the spinach - at all. I need to make this for the hubs too because he definitely needs some spinach in his diet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love smoothies, especially a green one.

    I'd love to have you share your recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/21/quick-no-rise-chocolate-cinnamon-rolls/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm Sig this is right up my alley! This would be a perfect post workout drink. I am definitely going to try it : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your Earth Day post. Your smoothie looks so delicious! I've tried some green smoothies with my son, but mine don't look nearly as delectable as yours. So I'll try your recipe and see if I get a better reception.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about trying a green smoothie lately, but I was hesitating because I was afraid you could taste the spinach. If your kids can't taste it, then I believe it must be safe! (BTW, I do love spinach, but I'm not sure I'd love it with pineapple. So, if you can't tell it's in there, I'll gladly drink up the nutrients without worrying about a funky mix of flavors!)

    ReplyDelete