Wednesday, April 20, 2011

P.W. Cinnamon Rolls


For those of you who have made Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls, this is not a new recipe to you.
However, if you haven't, they are seriously CRAZY good.  The dough is a wonderful tender sweet dough but the coffee maple icing is what really takes it over the top.
If you happen to be someone who grew up in the 'Burg with me, one bite of these and you will be transported back to the Winnie the Pooh cafeteria and buying homemade cinnamon twists on Wednesdays.

P.W. Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe Source:  Pioneer Woman
  • 1 quart Whole Milk
  • 1 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 packages Active Dry Yeast, 0.25 Ounce Packets
  • 8 cups (Plus 1 Cup Extra, Separated) All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
  • 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
  • Plenty Of Melted Butter (1-2 cups, divided)
  • 2 cups Sugar
  • Generous Sprinkling Of Cinnamon
MAPLE FROSTING:
  • 1 bag Powdered Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Maple Flavoring
  • ½ cups Milk
  • ¼ cups Melted Butter
  • ¼ cups Brewed Coffee
  • ⅛ teaspoons Salt
Mix the milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. Scald the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Turn off heat and leave to cool 45 minutes to 1 hour. When the mixture is lukewarm to warm, but NOT hot, sprinkle in both packages of Active Dry Yeast. Let this sit for a minute. Then add 8 cups of all-purpose flour. Stir mixture together. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.
After rising for at least an hour, add 1 more cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together. (At this point, you could cover the dough and put it in the fridge until you need it – overnight or even a day or two, if necessary. Just keep your eye on it and if it starts to overflow out of the pan, just punch it down).
When ready to prepare rolls: Sprinkle rolling surface generously with flour. Take half the dough and form a rough rectangle. Then roll the dough thin, maintaining a general rectangular shape. Drizzle 1/2 to 1 cup melted butter over the dough. Now sprinkle 1 cup of sugar over the butter followed by a generous sprinkling of cinnamon.
Now, starting at the opposite end, begin rolling the dough in a neat line toward you. Keep the roll relatively tight as you go. Next, pinch the seam of the roll to seal it.
Spread 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a seven inch round foil cake or pie pan. Then begin cutting the rolls approximately ¾ to 1 inch thick and laying them in the buttered pans.
Repeat this process with the other half of the dough. Let the rolls rise for 20 to 30 minutes, then bake at 400 degrees (see note below) until light golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.
For the frosting, mix together all ingredients listed and stir well until smooth. It should be thick but pourable. Taste and adjust as needed. Generously drizzle over the warm rolls. Go crazy and don’t skimp on the frosting.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Mommy's Kitchen

12 comments:

  1. Ya know - I have never tried these. I know they are one of her top rated recipes on tasty kitchen but I've never made them. I was always worried the coffee flavor would be too strong and the hubs doesn't like coffee. What do you think?? i LOVE coffee so it wouldn't bother me in the least.
    I really need to give these a try since you recommend it. Yours turned out SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YES... I make these during the holidays to out of town guests! The are amazing. Seriously dangerous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandie - I don't think you can even distiguish the coffee in these, it just lends a richness and a depth aside from the taste of sugar, butter, and maple. I was worried about the icing when I first made them, so I made a half batch and then a half batch of a cream cheese frosting, but favorite was the maple :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here cinnamon rolls are the absolute best. I make them at christmas every year. Did you use the maple glaze or vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear lord!!!! You just HAD to go and post these when Im trying to eat all healthy! LMAO. I've been wanting to make these for a long time! Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't even know why I'm reading this post! Can't have the sugar or the bread, but OMG if this pic isn't making my mouth water! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I keep meaning to make these, I even made sure to buy the ingredients but didn't end up getting around to it. I think I shall do it for the kids on Monday for a nice breakfast on their no school day! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound wonderful, Siggy. Ree has some wonderful recipes and this seems to be another we can all add to our files. I am new to your blog and have taken some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day and enjoy the coming holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been dying to make this recipe ever since I picked up her book. They sound amazing.

    I'd love to have you share your recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/21/quick-no-rise-chocolate-cinnamon-rolls/

    ReplyDelete
  10. love love love cinnamon rolls and these sound great the cinnamon roll make in our family was my hubbies granny who is now in heaven I may have to try this recipe for my children come see what I shared on my blog http://shopannies.blogsopt.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made these for the first time and they are beyond delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Is it plausible to make the dough the night before and then complete the rest of the recipe the following morning?

    ReplyDelete

  12. PrimaryScents

    Relax and Rejuvenate your mind with our Backflow Waterfall effect Incense burner. Perfect to use at your home or personal space.



    Incense Burner


    Backflow Incense Burner



    Waterfall Incense Burner


    Dragon Incense Burner





    ReplyDelete