Monday, April 4, 2011

Poor Man's Stroganoff

My husband's favorite dish that he grew up with is his Mom's Beef Stroganoff. 
In my opinion, you should just never try to re-make your husband's favorite dish from his Momma or Grand-mama.  No matter how scrumptious yours may be, you can never over-come that emotional attachment or memory.  So, I have never even ventured into any kind of "anoff".  However, when I saw Mel's recipe for this Poor Man's Stroganoff, even though it was a stroganoff, it was different enough not to matter.  Plus, it had bacon in it.  I mean, come on....bacon and a creamy sauce, I am sold!
This was such comfort food...nothing fancy, just fantastic simple flavors that do the dance well.   Delish!!!

Poor Man's Stroganoff
Recipe Source:  Mel's Kitchen Cafe
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil
  • 6 oz turkey bacon, diced (I used center cut, though I think a good peppered bacon would be AMAZING)
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 medium red or yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 2 TBSP tomato paste
  • 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
  • 1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • 1 cup sour cream, light or regular
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried

Cooked egg noodles or rice, for serving
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1-2 teaspoons olive oil and saute diced bacon over medium heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside, leaving any grease/oil in the pan. Add sliced mushrooms to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, for about one minute (if the pan is too dry, add a teaspoon of oil as needed). Add salt. Continue cooking until the mushrooms are softened and have given up most of their juices. Transfer them to the same plate as the bacon.
In the same skillet, brown the ground beef or turkey with the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the grease.
Stir in the flour and tomato paste to the meat mixture and mix to combine well. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add the beef broth and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking to combine all the ingredients. Simmer vigorously for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and paprika. Cook until flavors blend, about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add sautéed mushrooms and bacon back to the skillet. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sour cream, mixing well to avoid lumps. Stir in the parsley. Serve over egg noodles.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Mommy's Kitchen
Eat at Home

10 comments:

  1. Lol! I hear ya! As many times as I've tried, I don't think I'll ever live up to the 'great cook' my hubby believes his Mother to be! : ( I love beef stroganoff! This version is sounding mighty good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you know that's right! You definitely cannot compete with a childhood favorite unless you have the exact recipe. And in that case, they will still usually say something isn't quite the same...LOL. And with bacon in? Come on!! That's gotta be good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean come on Siggy this dish looks FABULOUSLY d'lish! I never seen a stroganoff with bacon in it....mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, bacon = perfection. Lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's (late) grandmomma apparently made the best lemon meringue pie ever. And that's exactly why I'll never make one. Ever. How in the world can you compete?! This stroganoff sounds delicious. It's funny - we had stroganoff last night, too. We didn't have bacon in it, though. I'm sure if had, the husband would have liked dinner a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to meet you, Siggie, via Brandie's blog, Country Cook. This dish looks just amazing, complete with bacon (even peppered bacon!) just fantastic. You are just SO right. Never attempt to compete with hubby's memorable family winning dishes. I did that ONCE...and never vowed never again! It backfired not as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you Sig, via Brandie. Your dishes looks like comfy food to me! I haven't made stroganoff in a long while, I'm going to put this on the menu soon. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comfort food with bacon has to be good! I am here via Brandie as well. Enjoyed checking out all the recipes and your blog. Competing with with "Momma" or "Grandma" is always a "no,no"!lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the addition of bacon would be welcome at this house! I love stroganoff of any kind, especially poor man's though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks and sounds great! I don't blame you for not wanting to compete - my husband swears by his grandmother's marinara and wishes out loud on a regular basis that she had written the recipe down somewhere. So I've had to come to terms with the fact that I will just never live up - although my meatballs as "almost" as good as hers! ;)

    Thanks for sharing at SSH, I'm so glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete