Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken


I love pineapple.  I mean, I love, love, LOVE pineapple!  However, I am allergic to it.  You may remember the story of my adventures in Hawaii and how I found a type of pineapple I am not allergic to.  If not, you can read about it HERE.
Anyway, since finding a pineapple I can enjoy without my tongue swelling up, I have been enjoying it all over the place....breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snack, brushing my teeth....just making sure you are paying attention.  So, when I saw this recipe, it went into my "try immediately" pile.
We all loved this recipe....kiddos especially.  Loved it so much there weren't any left-overs to fight over.  Of course, what is not to love about chicken swimming in a sweet pineapple sauce?! 

Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken
recipe slightly adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up!
  • 4-5 chicken breasts cut into large strips
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 TBSP Lemon Pepper
  • 4 TBSP Coconut Oil (you could use olive oil as well)
For the sauce:
  • 1 can (28 ounce can) Pineapple chunks in 100 % juice.  I use the Dole Tropical Gold
  • 1 1/4 cup Pineapple juice (use the pineapple juice from the can, and add water to hit the 1 1/4 cup point)
  • 3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 tsp low sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground Ginger
  • 1 Chicken Bouillon cube
  • 1 cup Sugar
  • 2 TBSP Cornstarch
  • 1 medium Red Bell Pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional, not pictured)
  • 1/2 medium Sweet Yellow Onion, cut into 1 inch pieces (optional, not pictured)
  • Green Onion as a tasty garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. While skillet and oil are heating, mix together flour, salt, and lemon pepper. Once oil is hot, dredge chicken in flour mixture and quick fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Place chicken into the prepared baking dish.
Meanwhile, begin the sauce by bringing pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, bouillon cube, sugar, and cornstarch to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once all the chicken is in the baking dish, pour 2/3 of the sauce over top and bake for 30 minutes, flipping chicken after 15 minutes of cooking time.
While chicken is baking, quick stir-fry red pepper and onion together in a small bit of oil in a small skillet over high heat.
Once chicken has cooked for 30 minutes, take out of oven, flip chicken again and distribute pineapple chunks, onion, and red pepper over top of the chicken and pour remaining sauce over that.  Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve over rice with a tasty garnish of green onion. 
ENJOY!

Food Facts:
This recipe was a tad subjective to get an accurate nutritional count on it.  Sorry :(  I don't want to give wrong information.    I estimated the calorie count to be 475 for 6 ounces of chicken, 1/4 cup sauce with some pineapple chunks, 1/2 cup brown rice, and various oil and breading.

This recipe has been linked up at:
Nikki's Nifty Knacks
Tidy Mom
Simply Sweet Home
Mommy's Kitchen
This Chick Cooks
Eat at Home

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe your allergic to PINEAPPLE! You poor poor thing! It is my very favorite fruit!!! This dish looks AMAZING! I am printing it right this second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a nice dish, and very flavorful I bet. Glad you found one you could enjoy,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your allergy to pineapple--and, actually, to all tropical fruits, such as bananas, mangos, guavas, etc. So I don't think the Tropical Gold will work for me.

    But this recipe showed up at just the right time to be included in my latest Presidential Palate dinner--much to my son's delight, since he loves pineapple but almost never gets it in his meals except when we go out. But we were doing the Presidents of the period when Hawaii became a territory and then state, so it was PERFECT for our meal. You can read the details at my latest blog post on Presidential Palate 6. So thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love having that sweet taste with main dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! My whole family loves fresh/canned pineapple & rice too. This one I will have to try out! So sorry for your allergy--but happy that you found one that works for you. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! My boyfriend and I have been on a serious chinese food kick the past month and I figure I better start cooking it before we can million pounds! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum. That looks really good. I've never had pineapple and chicken but I see recipes for the two all the time. One of these days I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete